D vs Go in real life

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Dec 6 06:33:46 PST 2013

On 06/12/13 13:38, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> But is D not still doing a better job than Microsoft is of keeping their C++
> compiler up to the latest C++ standard?

I'm not making any comparisons here, I'm simply saying that this is something it
could be helpful to address, for D's own sake.

Comparisons to Microsoft are not very helpful anyway, because Microsoft is to a
great extent in the position of being able to effectively dictate solutions,
even where they clash with or fail to live up to standards.  That's both their
advantage and their weakness.

> In fact in the C++ world all the compilers lag the standard to some extent. Its
> hard to expect that D would have all the compilers exactly in sync, though with
> the common front-end it should help.

That's the point -- with D we are in the lucky situation that not only do all
our compilers share common frontends, runtimes and standard libraries, but all
the developers are friends working together in a cooperative community.  We have
all the resources in place to ensure that the 3 compilers are truly equal
players.  All it will take is time and effort and a focus on making it happen.

I should add that (since bounties have been mentioned) this is another thing I'd
happily put money towards, if it would help.