D vs Go in real life

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Fri Dec 6 07:37:56 PST 2013

"Joseph Rushton Wakeling" <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote in message
news:mailman.304.1386341329.3242.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 05/12/13 04:08, Daniel Murphy wrote:
>> As Walter said, there is no chance of that happening.  However, we are
>> slowly working to integrate or refactor away all gdc/ldc patches against
>> the
>> frontend.  This should greatly reduce the effort to merge patches,
>> hopefully
>> resulting in all three compilers permanently being in sync.
>
> .... just as I brought the topic up in another branch of this thread [*]
> ... :-)
>
> How are things going with that, what's the current status in terms of
> GDC/LDC patches being eliminated?  Do you have any idea of the timeframe
> within which it'll be complete, and does it rely at all on the C++ --> D
> transition?

It's going very slowly.  There have been a few pulls working on some areas,
but most of my effort has been on the d port.  The frontend unification does
not depend on the D port, and the D port is not technically blocked by it,
but we will need to finish it before abandoning the C++ version of the
frontend.

I'd love to give a timeframe, but I don't have that much control over it.  A
fairly important step is currently blocked because Walter is sitting on a
pull request. (https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/2754)