Build Master: Scheduling II

Andrew Edwards ridimz at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 08:45:27 PST 2013

On 12/5/13, 3:09 AM, Martin Nowak wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 December 2013 at 07:58:10 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> * Not a single person need to have all different platforms to create a
>> release
>>
> We'll need to move to building linux distribution specific build to fix
> issues with shared library dependencies, so it's even more platforms.

Which ones specifically? Does Ubuntu and Fedora suffice or are there
others that need to be included?

>> * We don't need to rely on someone else to build packages for a given
>> platform. He/she may be away for a few days and suddenly we can't get
>> a release for a given platform
>>
> Automation is definitely a good solution.
>
>> * It's reproducible. We're creating the release on the same machines
>> every time
>>
> I think a good solution would be to prepare clean virtualbox images that
> are used for building.

I crashed my system so I had to start over with a fresh
installation/configuration. The following images are installed within
VirtualBox:

	OS X 10.9
	Ubuntu 12.04
	Fedora 19
	FreeBSD 9.2
	Windows 7 [1]

All images are 64 bits and allotted 20.00 GB fixed storage, 32 MB Video
Memory, and enabled Bridge network adapter. The base system is currently
a MacMini running OSX 10.9 but will be upgraded to a Mac Pro in the near
future. Are there any other OS's that should be included?

Not sure what the correct configuration should be but I do know that, at
my current level of expertise, configuring them can be a pain in the
arse.... Are there any scripts available to configure/secure these
operating systems? Any suggestions regarding configuration to eliminate
problems during build process?

[1] There is not yet a windows image installed as I do not have an
installation CD.

Thanks,
Andrew