Getting started with GUI development using D and Gtkd.

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Fri Dec 6 09:46:04 PST 2013

I am sad to announce that this does not appear to have a great
deal of appeal.

This may of course be because my little series of articles  -
http://britseyeview.com/software/articles/gsgtkd101.html, et seq
- was complete crap, but I suspect that this is not entirely the
case.

I've done this sort of thing before. The vast majority of hits my
site gets are on a 3-part sequence on 'Getting started with
datatables' (that's jQuery based stuff on how to deal with HTML
tables.) Those are very basic stuff.

There was an initial flurry of hits after my initial
announcement, quite a few I suspect via this newsgroup. But since
then, very little in the way of repeat visits.

I wonder if this is because the code examples in D are just not
sufficiently comprehensible, even though they were done in a
'better C' style. Also, of course, there's the 'what is D' factor.

It could also be a problem that I assumed the use of CodeView,
attempting to give a route for a quick start.

Also I wonder these days if people are interested in writing
non-web-based GUI programs at all. Are they a thing of the past?

Just thought I would report.

Steve