D Programmer Jobs at Sociomantic Labs

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Dec 6 13:06:43 PST 2013

On 12/6/13 4:49 AM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> On Friday, 6 December 2013 at 12:37:48 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> On 12/5/13, Dicebot <public at dicebot.lv> wrote:
>>> Just got the formal confirmation from HR - you can certainly
>>> expect some extra help during first months to get settled. If you
>>> apply via careers at sociomantic.com , just mention your concerns in
>>> e-mail / during interview to get any specific details.
>>
>> Well I'll certainly think about writing a resume / application. But I
>> don't think I have much chances. I don't have a CS degree, and my work
>> experience is not programming-related. I don't have experience with
>> distributed architectures either.
>
> I can't really speak for Sociomantic, but really if you are smart and a
> good coder that should count as much or more than a CS degree.  You
> can't teach smart! If you have code you have written on github (or
> anywhere else out there) then make them aware of that.  If you have
> contributed to DMD, Phobos it is likely more advanced than a lot of
> full-time jobs for new grads anyways. So while you may not have 'paid'
> work experience you can demonstrate that you have real world experience.

Degrees help for things like immigration, where some bureaucratic rules
must be obeyed. There may be country laws that prohibit certain
positions without the degree. Otherwise they should be mostly advisory
for a good company. One of the best engineers at Facebook doesn't have a
degree and was homeless at hire time. He failed two of three interviews,
too. True story.

Andrei