Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

Maxim Fomin maxim at maxim-fomin.ru
Sat Dec 7 08:23:16 PST 2013

On Saturday, 7 December 2013 at 15:42:54 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 12/6/13 11:34 PM, Maxim Fomin wrote:
>> And again, notice that you are speaking about 'hypothetical
>> advantages'
>> (language advantages) which implies two things:
>> 1) current efficiency is worse when comparing with some
>> benchmark
>> 2) despite many years of development, community failed to
>> realize these
>> advantages.
>>
>> This makes me think that probably there is another reason of
>> why code is
>> less efficient, for example fundamental characteristics of the
>> language
>> make him hard to be quick. This is not bad per se, but saying
>> that
>> language code can be faster than C, taking into account some
>> many
>> problems with D, looks like advertisement, rather then
>> technical
>> comparison.
>
> That is not advertisement, and your tenor is dissonant in this
> forum.

This is not the first time you are commenting my 'tenor' which is
an unusual thing. Of course, it is dissosant in this 'forum', if
you mean by forum constant advertisement which does not express
full information about the subject (like reddit link bombing).
When speaking about D newsgroups in general, I found myself
pretty neutral.

> This community, as pretty much any other languages', is looking
> for strategic advantages compared to other languages, and how
> to exploit them. It is perfectly natural to look for places
> where D semantics may lead to better code and exploit those at
> their best.

I am happy with looking at strategic advantages, but strategic
advantages are not excuse for current disadvantages. Perhaps some
major bugs should be fixed before promoting the language?

> D code is easy to make fast. This has been shown numerous times
> in various contexts. There are also convenience features that
> are not aimed at performance, bugs, and insufficiencies.
> Enumerating them in an attempt to argue that D code is not or
> cannot be faster than C is missing the point.
>

> Andrei

I remember regex implementation as example of superior
performance. I don't remember any other libraries, projects
(perhaps vide.d in some activities). Meanwhile, many people
regular complain on some problems. I do remember only one thread
(it was started by Jonathan) which was devoted to single purpose
of describing how D language is usefull and good to solve
problems.