D-Link with R/MATLAB/Julia/SQL

Siavash Babaei siavash.babaei at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 08:53:09 PST 2013

One thing that professional programmers often miss is that
by-and-large, many of the users of programming languages are not
professional programmers by trade but they require them as tools
to do their job and as such may not be as well-versed in many of
the nooks-and-crannies. Hence, us-mere-mortals rely on ready-made
libraries/packages that you master programmers design and
implement in order to achieve our goals.
On another note, seeing as data mining and analysis is going to
be probably one of the most important functions of any business
for a foreseeable future, I think any decent language should have
a more-or-less easy and straightforward way of
interfacing/linking to languages/packages that handle data and
their analysis, e.g., it should be fairly easy to access
databases, spreadsheets, and the major data analysis tools like
R/MATLAB/OCTAVE. Furthermore, one should not need to write code
in another language like C in order to do that, i.e., D should be
more or less self-sufficient.
The whole idea behind D is amazing and the language’s objectives
seem very promising, but should it be my first real attempt at
learning a general purpose programming language?! I am still
baffled …