Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Dec 7 21:35:39 PST 2013

On Sun, Dec 08, 2013 at 03:01:03AM +0100, digitalmars-d-bounces at puremagic.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 01:59:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >But when I talk about refactoring, I mean things like changing
> >data structures and algorithms. Renaming things is pretty far over
> >on the trivial end, and isn't going to help your program run any
> >faster.
>
> Well, I was just so surprised by your answer that I was looking for
> common ground :-)

OTOH, I was quite confused the first time somebody talked about
"refactoring" to refer to variable renaming. To me, refactoring means
reorganizing your code, like factoring out common code into separate
functions, and moving stuff around modules, and substituting algorithms;
the kind of major code surgery where you go through every line (or every
block) and re-stitch things together in a new (and hopefully cleaner)
way.  Variable renaming sounds almost like a joke to me in comparison. I
was quite taken aback that people would think "variable renaming" when
they say "refactoring", to be quite honest.

Or maybe this is just another one of those cultural old age indicators?
Has the term "refactoring" shifted to mean "variable renaming" among the
younger coders these days? Genuine question. I'm baffled that these two
things could even remotely be considered similar things.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. Use your hands...