Publication of the French translation of Ali's "Programming in D" book

Raphaël Jakse raphael.jakse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 13:22:10 PST 2013

Le 08/12/2013 18:05, Philippe Sigaud a écrit :
> First, kudos for translating all this! I'm sure that'll be a good
> reference and maybe pave the way for other translations (Spanish,
> German & Japanese come to mind).
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> - why did you use this whata! language instead of a standard format,
> like markdown or even ddoc? At least that way you can re-use many
> tools that already exist. markdown is known by many people, and pandoc
> is able to translate it into dozens of different format (including
> LaTeX and pdf and ePub).

To be fair, I used Whata! mainly because I am the author of this syntax
and I'm used to it.

I can try to explain why I wrote Whata! instead of Markdown.
When I started Whata!, it was for writing maths lessons, just before
Markdown started to be well known by everybody. I wanted it fast to
write and easy to read, I didn't know Pandoc at that time. Markdown is
in fact easier to read but I don't like some part of it like being able
to write HTML code inside it or indenting for code blocs: I like to
indent my documents when I write them. I wanted support for maths, for
sections like in HTML5, and the possibility to extend the syntax with
custom tags and first class support for HTML as well as PDF output,
among other things.
I'm willing to make writing complex documents with Whata! possible,
which I think Markdown is not for.

Concerning LaTeX, I find it verbose, inconsistent, rigid, difficult to
learn and I think it doesn't help enough to separate presentation and
contents. It is excellent for its PDF rendering and its syntax for
writing algorithms and formulas, but I don't see myself taking notes in
LaTeX. Morever, LaTeX to HTML converters don't seem to produce pretty HTML.

Regarding DDoc, I just didn't know D when I started Whata! (I started it
in PHP, and I still use the second version of the PHP program to produce
HTML versions of the document), and DDoc when I started the translation
of the book. I still find Markdown better to write plain documents than
DDoc.

That said:
  - I might be entirely wrong in even writing Whata! instead of
embracing Markdown
  - Markdown should be good enough for this book, as long as it it
possible to write one file by chapter without any hack
  - DDoc might be good, but a LaTeX output would be great
  - I'll try to add support for Whata! in Pandoc. Maybe DDoc should also
be added to Pandoc?
  - If necessary, we'll switch to Markdown for this translation.
However, it would be sad for me :-) Please say it if you want to work in
Markdown.

Seeing the whole translation written in Whata!, would be represent a
small success for me, but I'm eager to drop Whata! for this translation
if people ask for it. On the other hand, I think Whata! is easy enough
for proofreading and hopefully for writing new chapters.

Please comment ;-)

> `Some chapters, like the chapter on exceptions, are somewhat broken
> because of special characters. When I or someone find a way to make
> LaTeX handle special characters that are not part of its default font,
> we'll be in the best world ever.`
>
> - What special chars?
  ◁ :  U+25C1
  ▶ :  U+25B6
  � :  U+FFFD

> - can we push pull requests directly on Gitorious? I'm more used to github.
I never used pull requests yet, I think it is possible. I'll try to get
some information about this and post here

> - How do you intend to publish this text?
Short answer : in PDF and HTML format on dlang-fr.org. I'll let Munrek
present his website again if needed ;-)

I think we should progressively publish chapter as they are proofread,
and show a notice to say that the document is under translation and
proofreading and if people want to participate, they can. I'm open to
any other idea of how we should do this.

Thanks for your answer !

Unfortunately, I deleted the original post by error, so here it is.