Advertisements on the D site

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Dec 9 01:14:17 PST 2013

On 12/8/2013 9:18 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
> I can confirm there existence on my home computers.

They aren't a secret. They are there on purpose, and have always been there, and
help defray the site hosting fees.

I actually kind of like seeing what Google thinks are relevant ads for D :-)

I briefly tried Amazon context sensitive ads, hoping they would show ads for
relevant programming books. Wouldn't that be cool? But most of the ads were for
the latest Batman movie. Even worse, it would delay the page loading by up to 40
seconds. So I gave up and removed them.

As an aside, I recently bought a kitchen faucet. For weeks afterwards, I was
bombarded on web pages by ads for that very same faucet from the same vendor.
How many kitchens did they think I have? It was an epic fail of their (I don't
know which company did the ad delivery) data mining ad delivery software.