Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 01:46:03 PST 2013

On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 01:34:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/7/2013 4:46 PM, Manu wrote:
>> True as compared to C, but I wouldn't say this is true in
>> general.
>> C# and Java make it easy to refactor code rapidly. D doesn't
>> have any such tools
>> yet.
>> It's my #1 wishlist item for VisualD and Mono-D, and I await
>> such tooling with
>> great anticipation.
>> Maybe when the D front-end is a library, and tooling has such
>> powerful (and
>> reliable) semantic analysis as the compiler does it may be
>> possible?
>
> Needing a tool to refactor code is a bit of a mystery to me.
> I've never used one, and never felt that not having one
> inhibited me from refactoring.

I used to think that until I tried rope in Emacs for editing
Python code. After that I wanted proper refactorign for
everything else as well. Renaming doesn't require checks,
extracting a method is just easy... it's saved me a _lot_ of time
and I just couldn't imagine having done some of the work I did
without it.