Advertisements on the D site

Adam Wilson flyboynw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 9 10:07:26 PST 2013

On Mon, 09 Dec 2013 01:14:17 -0800, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 12/8/2013 9:18 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> I can confirm there existence on my home computers.
>
> They aren't a secret. They are there on purpose, and have always been
> there, and help defray the site hosting fees.
>
> I actually kind of like seeing what Google thinks are relevant ads for D
> :-)
>
> I briefly tried Amazon context sensitive ads, hoping they would show ads
> for relevant programming books. Wouldn't that be cool? But most of the
> ads were for the latest Batman movie. Even worse, it would delay the
> page loading by up to 40 seconds. So I gave up and removed them.
>

> As an aside, I recently bought a kitchen faucet. For weeks afterwards, I
> was bombarded on web pages by ads for that very same faucet from the
> same vendor. How many kitchens did they think I have? It was an epic
> fail of their (I don't know which company did the ad delivery) data
> mining ad delivery software.

Oh I know that they are there on purpose. I was just confirming their
existence to those who use ad-blockers. :-)

I also understand why they are there. But I also agree that it doesn't
help the professionalism of the site. I was just throwing in my opinion,
but we all know how much those are worth... :-)

--
Adam Wilson
IRC: LightBender