Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 9 18:32:06 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:42:05AM +0100, deadalnix wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 05:37:09 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> >Or maybe this is just another one of those cultural old age
> >indicators?  Has the term "refactoring" shifted to mean "variable
> >renaming" among the younger coders these days? Genuine question. I'm
> >baffled that these two things could even remotely be considered
> >similar things.
> >

> Refactoring is changing your code, without changing what it does. It
> is done in order to make your code easier to understand, more
> maintainable, more testable, or whatever.
>
> Both extracting some code into a function and renaming a variable
> are refactoring operations.

OK, but isn't renaming among the more trivial refactoring operations?
Albeit, granted, it is probably also the most easily automated.
Splitting an overly-long function into smaller pieces is a more
meaningful (IMO) refactoring operation, but probably much more difficult
to automate (if it even can be).

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power. -- Abraham Lincoln