Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 9 23:50:24 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 02:01:09PM +1000, Manu wrote:
> On 10 December 2013 13:40, Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
> > On 12/9/2013 7:04 PM, Manu wrote:
> >
> >> It would be amazing if there was some real effort put into a
> >> convenient tooling API in the DMD front-end lib.
> >>

> > Generally, the best tools come from people who make them to please
> > themselves, not from people who make them to someone else's spec. I
> > suspect you'd make a very good refactoring tool.
> >
> > How about it?
> >

> Not without a powerful semantic analysis library I wouldn't.  Other's
> have spent years now on semantic analysis libraries trying to
> duplicate the understanding of the code that DMD must already have
> while compiling.

We need to work on the "compiler as a library" project. A *lot* of code
analysis tools are unnecessarily duplicating effort because the compiler
is opaque; if compiler internals could be leveraged, this would open the
door for powerful code analysis/manipulation tools, and they'd be
*accurate*, and won't need endless maintenance to keep up with compiler
changes. Well, they still require maintenance, but the effort would be
far easier if much of the codebase is shared.

It only takes one twig to burn down a forest.