Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Tue Dec 10 01:38:42 PST 2013

On 10/12/13 09:21, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> It turned out that I had overlooked a simple but very significant
> optimization present in the C version that hadn't been implemented
> in the D version yet. [...] In the original C code, it took quite
> a while to implement this optimization because ...  well, in C, you
> had to spell out every last thing, otherwise it just won't work. In
> D, I kicked a crude version of it out in under a day.

There are such amazing multiplicative gains from D's design decisions -- as you
describe here, even when you _need_ to drill down and micro-optimize, very often
that too can be achieved in a way that is simpler than its C equivalent.  And
so, at every level of your code, you get that opportunity to focus more on
exploration and improvement and less on firefighting.