Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Tue Dec 10 01:58:51 PST 2013

On 12/09/2013 11:00 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/9/2013 1:28 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm lost. What point are you arguing? None of this disputes in
>> any way
>> anything I wrote.
>
> I thought you were arguing that whole program analysis was as good as
> using immutable and const qualifiers.

Indeed. Recovering all immutable and const qualifiers that are possible
to assign to the program is simple to do if the whole program is available.

(I was neither arguing that static analysis will eliminate all array
bounds checks, nor that integrating such information into an existing C
back-end is trivial, nor that manually adding the information does not
mean that it does not have to be inferred.)