No household is perfect

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Dec 10 04:28:44 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-03 at 12:06 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
[…]

I have been waiting to answer this as I wanted to do some experiment
first. However circumstances mean that this playing will have to wait
till the Christmas break. I thought I should put a place holder message
in though to mark that a reply is coming.

> Using operator overloading to create a DSL is just wrong. Part of the design of
> operator overloading in D is to deliberately frustrate such attempts.
>
> + should mean addition, not union, concatenation, etc. Overloading is there to
> support addition on user defined types, not to invent new meanings for it.
>
> Embedded DSLs should be visually distinct, and D provides the ability for that
> with string mixins and CTFE.

I think this position is too restrictive and just wrong. If D is really
aiming to stop internal DSLs using operators then D is missing the whole
point of abstraction. But as noted I want code not just waffle to
further this discussion.

[…]

--
Russel.