Inherent code performance advantages of D over C?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Dec 10 13:37:21 PST 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:16:25PM +0100, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 21:05:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> >At the least, it'll compile a lot faster!
>
> Small C programs compile a *lot* faster than small D programs that
> use Phobos.
>
> import std.stdio; == add half a second to your compile time.

That's not too bad. One of my template-heavy projects take almost 10
seconds to compile just a single source file. And a single string import
can add up to 3-4 seconds (well, probably due to CTFE since I call
split() on the string).

Life is unfair. Ask too much from it, and it may decide you don't
deserve what you have now either.