Option!T

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 14:10:47 PST 2013

On Tuesday, 10 December 2013 at 17:28:26 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> I talked to a programmer who knows Scala (among others) and he
> mentioned the usefulness of the Option type - a zero or one
> element collection (range in D terminology). Here's an article
> discussing it:
> http://danielwestheide.com/blog/2012/12/19/the-neophytes-guide-to-scala-part-5-the-option-type.html
>
> We have only(x) (http://dlang.org/phobos/std_range.html#.only)
> to be a collection of exactly one value, but not a type for "a
> value of type T or nothing at all". Should we follow Scala's
> example and add it?
>

> Andrei

Having a easy way to return a single element range which may be
empty is probably a good idea. It could make a good change to
style, but I don't use Option in other languages. For that reason
I'm not sure Option range probably doesn't have the same
semantics as expected by users of other languages.