OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 11:44:53 PST 2013

I thought we'd enjoy a bit of reminiscing of the past year and talk
about our plans for the future, whether it's something personal or
D-related that anyone is willing to publicly talk about. It should be
a fun topic, or so I hope! :) So let me begin..

Generally this has been an awesome year for me. This year I've become
a part of the D core team, which is not something I even planned for,
but I'm really grateful it happened. It's an awesome team to be in!

Another thing that happened, is that after many years promising myself
that "this year" was going to be the one where I get in shape and live
a healthy life, it turns out that 2013 was that year! I've lost 20 Kg
(44 lbs) this year and now my BMI is in the normal range at around
22.4 BMI. It was 28.4 BMI at 95 KG (209 lbs) at the start of the year.
It wasn't just frequent exercise that helped me lose weight. I started
eating healthy food, and now spinach, kale, beets, and other
vegetables are a permanent part of my diet. I wouldn't dream of saying
this last year, but steamed veggies are absolutely delicious!!

As for my future plans, I'm hoping to land myself a nice
programming-related job next year. I've never had a programming job,
most of the paid work I ever did was physical work, such as drilling
through bricks, rock, concrete, installing and repairing air
conditioners, installing central heating systems, lighting and
electrical work, and stuff like that.

I also want to and plan to study algorithms this year. Whenever some
algorithm-related discussion popped up in the newsgroups I would
typically avoid giving any input as most of the conversation would go
over my head. But I'm gonna bite down and study hard, I really want to
"grok" it.

Ok, so who's next who wants to share?