OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Francesco Cattoglio francesco.cattoglio at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:17:26 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 at 23:52:17 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Francesco Cattoglio:
>
>> My _dream_ for 2014 is having a chance to prove that D +
>> ZeroMQ can earn a place in the scientific computing world (I
>> got so much tired of C/C++ and MPI), but I will have to fight
>> people that still think that there's nothing a good FORTRAN77
>> code can't compute.
>
> Now there's Julia, a nice language. I don't like its arrays
> being 1-based, and its lack of """visible strong typing"""
> (unlike Ada I sometimes discuss around here), but its
> scientific usage will grow.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Honestly, to my eyes, Julia really looks like a "better Matlab",
with a heckload of stuff packed in his standard library.
I have not yet experimented with it but I don't like the premises
that much.

In short: I think D language can do as much as Julia can do, with
pretty much same bang for the buck.