OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Matt Soucy msoucy at csh.rit.edu
Wed Dec 11 17:07:43 PST 2013

On 11/12/13 02:44 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> I thought we'd enjoy a bit of reminiscing of the past year and talk
> about our plans for the future, whether it's something personal or
> D-related that anyone is willing to publicly talk about. It should be
> a fun topic, or so I hope! :) So let me begin..
>
> Generally this has been an awesome year for me. This year I've become
> a part of the D core team, which is not something I even planned for,
> but I'm really grateful it happened. It's an awesome team to be in!
>
> Another thing that happened, is that after many years promising myself
> that "this year" was going to be the one where I get in shape and live
> a healthy life, it turns out that 2013 was that year! I've lost 20 Kg
> (44 lbs) this year and now my BMI is in the normal range at around
> 22.4 BMI. It was 28.4 BMI at 95 KG (209 lbs) at the start of the year.
> It wasn't just frequent exercise that helped me lose weight. I started
> eating healthy food, and now spinach, kale, beets, and other
> vegetables are a permanent part of my diet. I wouldn't dream of saying
> this last year, but steamed veggies are absolutely delicious!!
>
> As for my future plans, I'm hoping to land myself a nice
> programming-related job next year. I've never had a programming job,
> most of the paid work I ever did was physical work, such as drilling
> through bricks, rock, concrete, installing and repairing air
> conditioners, installing central heating systems, lighting and
> electrical work, and stuff like that.
>
> I also want to and plan to study algorithms this year. Whenever some
> algorithm-related discussion popped up in the newsgroups I would
> typically avoid giving any input as most of the conversation would go
> over my head. But I'm gonna bite down and study hard, I really want to
> "grok" it.
>
> Ok, so who's next who wants to share?

2013:
Most of my major accomplishments deal with me becoming more confident in
myself - Running for a leadership position (twice) (first time I didn't
get it, finding out the second tonight), publicly announcing a library
I've developed for the first time, coming out to family and friends,
going to more Hackathons and demoing more things I've built.
I also got a chance to work on some kind of interesting projects,
including giving most of my other-language code a bit of a D accent.
Whoops. My Python got interesting for a while.
Got put onto a large(r) project at my co-op, something that directly
affects dozens of shipped products as well as rewriting a tool to help
with testing all those products.

2014:
Goals include:
Winning that election
Becoming more involved in open-source development (and "hacktivism" as
my friend/professor puts it).
Start learning more about programming language design and theory - I'll
be taking a class on it, but I'd like to learn more about how it works
in the "real world", not just academia.
Get in better shape - I'm extremely scrawny and want to put a little bit
of muscle on - rock climbing is helping with that.
Biggest goal: teach others. I have several seminars lined up to present
to local students at RIT, including some on D and Python.

--
Matt Soucy
http://msoucy.me/