GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 03:37:14 PST 2013

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 10:43:24 UTC, Manu wrote:
> So, I'm a massive fan of music games. I'll shamefully admit
> that I was
> tragically addicted to Dance Dance Revolution about 10 years
> ago. Recently,
> it's Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

You're 6 years behind the curve =). My brother got Guitar hero 2
for Christmas one year and I was instantly hooked. Guitar Hero 3
still remains my most played game besides maybe Civilization IV.

> The problem is though, that Neversoft and Harmonix completely
> fucked up the
> GH and RB franchises. Licensing problems, fragmented
> tracklists. It's
> annoying that all the songs you want to play are spread across
> literally 10
> or so different games, and you need to constantly change disc's
> if you want
> to play the songs you like.

Did they ever... It's really Activision's fault for running
Guitar Hero into the ground. I remember them releasing a
statement around 2009 saying that they planned to release 6 new
Guitar Hero games within that year alone. It was then that I knew
it was over.

> I've been meaning to kick off a guitar hero clone since GH2
> came out. I
> started one years ago as a fork of my Guitar Hero song editor
> for PS2, and
> I added support for drums before GH4 or RB were conceived, but
> then when
> they announced those games they stole my thunder and it went
> into
> hibernation.

Have you heard of Frets on Fire?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frets_on_Fire
I remember trying this out several years ago, though it didn't
really have that smoothe Guitar Hero feel.

> I'm very keen to resurrect the project (well, start a new one,
> with clean
> code, in D).
> Are there any music game nerds hanging around here who would be
> interested
> in joining a side project like this? It's a lot more
> motivating, and much
> more fun to work in a small team.

I wish I had the time.