GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:17:12 PST 2013

On 12 December 2013 21:14, Rikki Cattermole <alphaglosined at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 10:43:24 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> So, I'm a massive fan of music games. I'll shamefully admit that I was
>> tragically addicted to Dance Dance Revolution about 10 years ago.
>> Recently,
>> it's Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
>>
>> I quite like the band ensemble games, they're good party games, and great
>> rhythm practise that's actually applicable to real instrument skills too.
>>
>> The problem is though, that Neversoft and Harmonix completely fucked up
>> the
>> GH and RB franchises. Licensing problems, fragmented tracklists. It's
>> annoying that all the songs you want to play are spread across literally
>> 10
>> or so different games, and you need to constantly change disc's if you
>> want
>> to play the songs you like.
>>
>> I've been meaning to kick off a guitar hero clone since GH2 came out. I
>> started one years ago as a fork of my Guitar Hero song editor for PS2, and
>> I added support for drums before GH4 or RB were conceived, but then when
>> they announced those games they stole my thunder and it went into
>> hibernation.
>>
>> I'm very keen to resurrect the project (well, start a new one, with clean
>> code, in D).
>> Are there any music game nerds hanging around here who would be interested
>> in joining a side project like this? It's a lot more motivating, and much
>> more fun to work in a small team.
>>
>> It's an interesting union of skills; rendering, audio processing,
>> super-low-latency synchronisation, mini and communications processing,
>> animation, UI and presentation.
>>
>> I have done all this stuff commercially, so I can act as a sort of project
>> lead of people are interested, but haven't tried to write that sort of
>> software before.
>>
>> It also seems like a good excuse to kick off a fairly large scale and
>> performance intensive D project, which I like to do from time to time.
>>

> I would be happy to help with the gui side of thing just to get DOOGLE
> more inline with what is required from it. Assuming DOOGLE is ok for it.
> It is designed to work on top of games so it is perfect for this type of
> thing I'm just worried of its state and being ready.

It would be a good test for any UI framework. Hooking it up to
project-specific input api, and producing project specific outputs (in the
way of rendering backend).
The biggest challenge for any UI system though, is tooling. You can't be
expected to lay out rich and natural UI's by typing magic numbers in text
files... are there's open-source tools you use for construction and layout?