GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:50:44 PST 2013

On 12 December 2013 22:35, Mike Parker <aldacron at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/12/2013 7:43 PM, Manu wrote:
>
>> Are there any music game nerds hanging around here who would be
>> interested in joining a side project like this? It's a lot more
>> motivating, and much more fun to work in a small team.
>>
>> It's an interesting union of skills; rendering, audio processing,
>> super-low-latency synchronisation, mini and communications processing,
>> animation, UI and presentation.
>>
>> I have done all this stuff commercially, so I can act as a sort of
>> project lead of people are interested, but haven't tried to write that
>> sort of software before.
>>
>> It also seems like a good excuse to kick off a fairly large scale and
>> performance intensive D project, which I like to do from time to time.
>>

> I've never played any of those guitar games, but I do play guitar. And
> this project sounds intriguing. Time management is always a problem for me,
> but I could be motivated to put a few hours a week into something like this
> in the New Year.

Yeah, it's a problem for me too. That's the main reason I post for interest
from others. If there's team involvement, I feel a greater sense of
enthusiasm and responsibility, and it becomes a lot harder to ignore :)
What's your key skillset?

Mmm, I'm a guitar player too, and have decent rhythm, but never really
played drums. Guitar Hero/Rock Band alone took me from not being able to
play drums, to being able to physically play drums reasonably well.
I knew I reached a milestone when I was playing Neil Peart songs without
trouble! :P
Actually, these games are much better for drums than guitar, since the
drums on hardest difficulty is an accurate representation of the recording
artist's skills, whereas the little plastic guitars are only good for
hand-eye coordination and rhythmic skill.