OT: Your accomplishments in 2013 and plans for 2014

Craig Dillabaugh craig.dillabaugh at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:19:23 PST 2013

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 09:21:46 UTC, monarch_dodra
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 December 2013 at 19:45:25 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
> wrote:
>> As for my future plans, I'm hoping to land myself a nice
>> programming-related job next year. I've never had a
>> programming job,
>> most of the paid work I ever did was physical work, such as
>> drilling
>> through bricks, rock, concrete, installing and repairing air
>> conditioners, installing central heating systems, lighting and
>> electrical work, and stuff like that.
>
> I'm actually baffled to hear that someone of your caliber has
> is not a professional programmer. Passion and theory alone will
> only get you so far... (IMO).
>
> So, I hope you land yourself that job.

clip

Andrej is like Matt Damon's character in "Good Will Hunting"
(hopefully without all the psychological issues).  Good luck in
the job hunt.

I am sort of the Anti-Andrej. My big accomplishment for 2013 was
to complete my Ph.D. in Computer Science (after many years), but
I am actually not a fantastic programmer.  My degree is in
'theoretical' computer science, a number of the profs in my
research group would likely have been happy to do all their work
with just paper and pencils.  I kept asking my supervisor to let
me do some implementation project as part of my research, but he
kept answering "No, it will take too long".  Finally, a reviewer
for one of our papers said the only way he would except it was if
we included 'experimental results'. So I got to implement
something, and of course I used D!

Considering I have a BES and M.Sc. in Geography, and no extensive
math background, I figure getting a Ph.D. in CS is a bit of a
coup on my part.

With that out of the way my goal for 2014 is to improve as a
programmer and hopefully start making some contributions to the D
community.  I actually started making some small documentation
corrections to various D projects this past year, and want to
work my way up to something more substantial.

Congratulations to all the new parents out there.

Cheers,
Craig