GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 06:51:51 PST 2013

On 13 December 2013 00:38, Arjan <arjan at ask.me.to> wrote:

> Have you heard of Frets on Fire? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>>> Frets_on_Fire
>>> I remember trying this out several years ago, though it didn't really
>>> have
>>> that smoothe Guitar Hero feel.
>>>

>> Yes, it's fucking terrible. It's also written in Java, which might partly
>> explain the first bit...
>>

> I'm pretty sure it has been written in python (to prove one could write
> games using python), also there is FoFix a (better?) clone also python.
>
> My kids do play FoFix from time to time. But nothing beats minecraft.

Oh yeah, you're probably right. I just remembered that it wasn't written in
a real language ;)
It doesn't feel very tight, and the synchronisation window is super wide. I
suspect this is because the libraries they use aren't really meant for
low-latency real-time use, and they have no access to the hardware/drivers
directly, so they have to allow for a huge margin of error.