GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Arjan arjan at ask.me.to
Thu Dec 12 07:05:26 PST 2013

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 14:52:10 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 13 December 2013 00:38, Arjan <arjan at ask.me.to> wrote:
>
>> Have you heard of Frets on Fire? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
>>>>

>>> Yes, it's fucking terrible. It's also written in Java, which
>>> might partly
>>> explain the first bit...
>>>

>> I'm pretty sure it has been written in python (to prove one
>> could write
>> games using python), also there is FoFix a (better?) clone
>> also python.
>>
>> My kids do play FoFix from time to time. But nothing beats
>> minecraft.
>>

> Oh yeah, you're probably right. I just remembered that it
> wasn't written in
> a real language ;)
> It doesn't feel very tight, and the synchronisation window is
> super wide. I
> suspect this is because the libraries they use aren't really
> meant for
> low-latency real-time use, and they have no access to the
> hardware/drivers
> directly, so they have to allow for a huge margin of error.

I have no idea what is required for a game like that, but I've
been on a project where python is used in machine control (wafer
handling) at control frequencies / sampling rates up to 100Hz.
Although 100Hz was not achieved easily. Indeed no direct access
to hw/drivers from python it usually goes through c-wrappers.