GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 08:16:04 PST 2013

On 13 December 2013 01:47, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> wrote:

> On 2013-12-12 11:43, Manu wrote:
>
>> So, I'm a massive fan of music games. I'll shamefully admit that I was
>> tragically addicted to Dance Dance Revolution about 10 years ago.
>> Recently, it's Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
>>
>> I quite like the band ensemble games, they're good party games, and
>> great rhythm practise that's actually applicable to real instrument
>> skills too.
>>

> I wouldn't agree with that, at least not for Guitar Hero. I had issues
> with the timing. When I played I tried to time the music, but that didn't
> work. Instead I had to time the screen to get any points.

Sounds like your system was calibrated poorly, or there is latency in your
AV setup, or your TV/stereo is cheap. There's lots of sources of latency
that can affect those games. You just have to make sure to eliminate them
before you can play it properly.
I can easily play those games without looking at the screen at all. But I
did need to do some fiddling to get it properly synchronised. I felt about
30-40ms latency when I first switched to the 360 versions.
The old PS2 games were much better since they had no digital outputs,
there's no buffering anywhere along the chain. Still depends on your TV
displaying the signal it receives immediately though.

 The problem is though, that Neversoft and Harmonix completely fucked up