GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 09:04:22 PST 2013

On 13 December 2013 02:28, John Colvin <john.loughran.colvin at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 15:47:48 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>
>> On 2013-12-12 11:43, Manu wrote:
>>
>>> So, I'm a massive fan of music games. I'll shamefully admit that I was
>>> tragically addicted to Dance Dance Revolution about 10 years ago.
>>> Recently, it's Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
>>>
>>> I quite like the band ensemble games, they're good party games, and
>>> great rhythm practise that's actually applicable to real instrument
>>> skills too.
>>>

>> I wouldn't agree with that, at least not for Guitar Hero. I had issues
>> with the timing. When I played I tried to time the music, but that didn't
>> work. Instead I had to time the screen to get any points.
>>

> As a lifelong musician this annoyed the hell out of me. The whole
> experience ends up like reading annoying flashy sheet music. Low latency is
> critical.

It is quite sad how few people seem to know how, or make the effort to
setup their system properly, or know what the typical sources of latency
are... or even that there's such a thing as latency in the first place.
It's possible to make it near-perfect... but when I go to other peoples
houses and try to play, it never is. And then I start fiddling with their
AV system for an hour while everyone get's angry at me and tells me it's
perfect, and have no idea what I'm fussing about >_<