GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Dec 12 09:43:44 PST 2013

On 12/12/13 16:47, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> Instead I had to time the screen to get any points.

Not defending Guitar Hero here, but sometimes it is necessary to follow visual
rather than sonic cues in performance -- e.g. the brass players and others at
the back of a symphony orchestra will often play ahead of musicians at the very
front, because the sound takes longer to get from them to the audience.  There's
a lot of subtle internal stuff that goes on with different sections of the
orchestra having to react and play differently in order to keep the whole
together, and a lot of that needs to be be modulated by following visual cues of
one kind or another from various different people, sometimes against the grain
of what your ears are getting.

Then there are things like some extreme contemporary music where different
musicians are effectively in different tempi -- you can play with a click-track,
but sometimes it's easier or preferable to have flashing lights give you your
own personal tempo.

Plugged-in performance isn't really my area, but it wouldn't surprise me if
having to deal with latency is an occasional occupational challenge there -- can
anyone confirm? :-)