GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Dec 12 10:31:50 PST 2013

On 12/12/13 19:15, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> You know, I've never had that... but then again I haven't had the
> fortune of being in a band where distance between the first and back
> musicians is > 200 metres.  (Because sound doesn't travel *that* slow
> ;)

Well, it's not _just_ about the speed of sound, there are also things like the
speed of attack of different instruments and so on.

Then again, ever been to a performance of one of those pieces that ask for some
musicians to be placed in different locations round the back of the concert hall
for spatial effects?  Things can get fun with that ... :-)

> Only in the recording studio - if the time it takes for sound to leave
> your instrument, into the microphone, through the walls into the
> studio booth, into the mixer (and assuming digital) from the mixer to
> the sound card, to the DAW software mixer which is taking the
> recording and mixing it in with the playing tracks (optional live
> effects processing being done) back to the sound card, to the mixer,
> through the walls into the studio room, into the headphones of the
> receiver playing the instrument...  is greater than 22ms, then the
> person playing experiences a delay in the time he plays to the time he
> hears himself in the song.  If that happens, you are not in a good
> situation. =)

So, if your latency is 22ms, think of how that corresponds to sound travelling
in space: you only need to be separated by about 7.5m for that kind of delay to
kick in.