GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Dec 12 13:13:52 PST 2013

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 09:20:38PM +0100, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
> On 12/12/13 19:52, John Colvin wrote:
> >Delay between people isn't really the problem, it's delay in hearing
> >yourself that's the killer.
>
> Think people listening to people they hear with delay for their
> musical cues, and the people they are listening to listening to
> _them_ for their musical cues, and the feedback effect that might
> result ... :-)  You have to get used to the fact that the right time
> to play may sound like the wrong time to play relative to some other
> group spatially separated from you.
>
> By the same token, if everyone plays precisely with the conductor,
> they don't actually play precisely together as far as the audience
> is concerned, which is why professional orchestras tend to play a
> bit behind the conductor's beat.

Ahh, so *that's* why they do that!! I've always been wondering why the
orchestra always seems to be out-of-beat with the conductor, and why the
conductor's beats don't seem to line up with the actual sound.

Thanks!!

If it's green, it's biology, If it stinks, it's chemistry, If it has numbers it's math, If it doesn't work, it's technology.