D vs Go in real life

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Dec 12 15:01:45 PST 2013

On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 22:46:26 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/6/2013 4:13 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> So, that means that if you need the ability to get fast
>> turnaround on bugfixes
>> or new features, you HAVE to run DMD.
>
> Or, you could contribute to the gdc and ldc projects!

Well, when I first contributed to Phobos I looked into getting
the same patches accepted into GDC, not least because I wanted
the functionality for my own work. It wasn't really a workable
thing to do, both because of the lack of common git history and
because GDC (as LDC) works by matching the features of the
current stable release -- so adding stuff only available via
git-HEAD Phobos wasn't really an option.

That situation would be much different if the frontend were truly
common across all backends.