new Issue 11734 - undefined behavior with dirEntries probably due to memory corruption

Timothee Cour thelastmammoth at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 02:55:22 PST 2013

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 1:47 AM, Artem Tarasov <lomereiter at gmail.com> wrote:

> I couldn't reproduce it on my laptop. (uname -rv: 3.11.0-14-generic
> #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 17:04:55 UTC 2013)

on my machines I had to try with n from 10 to 100 (in increments of 10) to
get the segfault. The few bad values of n differed in each machine. Also
the ubuntu I used were 12.x instead, if that matters.

But GC is indeed buggy, and it is enormously hard to make a reasonably
> small test case that will fail on most machines :(

the cases I was aware of were rather due to GC being overly conservative.
This bug seems more serious and I haven't seen such kind yet. It also
disappears if we refactor code to use string instead of DirEntry (ie only
maintain the entry.name field)