GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 06:43:36 PST 2013

On 13 December 2013 22:37, Szymon Gatner <noemail at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, 12 December 2013 at 10:43:24 UTC, Manu wrote:
>
>> So, I'm a massive fan of music games. I'll shamefully admit that I was
>> tragically addicted to Dance Dance Revolution about 10 years ago.
>> Recently,
>> it's Guitar Hero and Rock Band.
>>
>> I quite like the band ensemble games, they're good party games, and great
>> rhythm practise that's actually applicable to real instrument skills too.
>>
>> The problem is though, that Neversoft and Harmonix completely fucked up
>> the
>> GH and RB franchises. Licensing problems, fragmented tracklists. It's
>> annoying that all the songs you want to play are spread across literally
>> 10
>> or so different games, and you need to constantly change disc's if you
>> want
>> to play the songs you like.
>>
>> I've been meaning to kick off a guitar hero clone since GH2 came out. I
>> started one years ago as a fork of my Guitar Hero song editor for PS2, and
>> I added support for drums before GH4 or RB were conceived, but then when
>> they announced those games they stole my thunder and it went into
>> hibernation.
>>
>> I'm very keen to resurrect the project (well, start a new one, with clean
>> code, in D).
>> Are there any music game nerds hanging around here who would be interested
>> in joining a side project like this? It's a lot more motivating, and much
>> more fun to work in a small team.
>>
>> It's an interesting union of skills; rendering, audio processing,
>> super-low-latency synchronisation, mini and communications processing,
>> animation, UI and presentation.
>>
>> I have done all this stuff commercially, so I can act as a sort of project
>> lead of people are interested, but haven't tried to write that sort of
>> software before.
>>
>> It also seems like a good excuse to kick off a fairly large scale and
>> performance intensive D project, which I like to do from time to time.
>>

> Hi, I am experienced C++ programmer, recently switched to indie gamedev (1
> title released commercially, another on the way). I am really interested in
> this for 2 reasons:
> 1) a chance to work with someone of your experience
> 2) as soon as it is possible (that would be D working on iOS) I would like
> to do a transition from C++ to D in our projects so new experience in D
> (and in the industry) is just perfect
>
> Please consider me!

Awesome.
Consider yourself considered! Although open-source doesn't really have
try-outs. Just make pull requests, and if it's suitable it gets merged;
you're now a contributor! :P

I'd really like to use this as an excuse to push D-on-iOS/Android forward.
The arm compiler more-or-less works, we should definitely try and apply it.
iOS or Android are both relevant modern targets.

I'm encouraged by the number of interested people actually!
I thought it would be a nice idea - fun community side project which
stresses lots of the aspects of D which I feel don't get enough attention;
real-time, low-latency, cross-platform...
One of the key reasons I put it to the forum like this, was because I'm
interested to get other contributors who might not be typical game coders,
and try and get contributors who would write more idiomatic D code than I
would involved to keep me in check.
My D code is kinda C-ish... I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing,
but I want to see what an ambitious (commercial-grade) game looks like
written in D, not in C-ish-D. It'll be a great case study, and a fun
project.

I'll get a project skeleton together soon. I'm off to do the family
christmas thing from tomorrow, but I'll get to it after that, next time I'm
sitting here wondering what to do. Or perhaps sooner, about 5 minutes after
the next time my girlfriend fires up Guitar Hero ;)
I'll populate the issue tracker with a task-list for a first-playable
milestone as I see it, and people can join and grab bits that they like.