GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Szymon Gatner noemail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 07:09:17 PST 2013

On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 14:50:18 UTC, Manu wrote:
> On 13 December 2013 23:53, Szymon Gatner <noemail at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 13 December 2013 at 13:06:16 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
>> wrote:

>>> From the sounds of it, it'll be a community project so no
>>> worries, just
>>> join in.
>>> Have a talk with the GDC compiler guys about helping with ARM
>>> support and
>>> getting on iOS. They could definitely use the help!
>>> Although from my knowledge there probably will be issues with
>>> tool chain
>>> not verified by Apple.
>>>

>> Thing is, I feel nowhere near qualified to work on a compiler.
>> And
>> compiler is really just a beginning. Even with Xcode preparing
>> iOS app that
>> is written in C++ and not Objective-C is still far from easy.
>>

> Really? Everything I've ever written on iOS was in full C++,
> with just one
> .m file to boot, and marshall the view and input events :)
> I think doing the same with D would be equally trivial. A game
> doesn't need
> access to the full iOS UI library. Any OS service calls can be
> wrapped in C
> functions in the marshalling .m file.

That is exactly what I do too, all C++ + some .mm files. I rather
meant debugging capabilities of Xcode (well now mych better in v5
but still crap compared to VC), code signing, provisions and a
need to use command line instead of IDE for archiving etc. Tbh I
am using CMake to keep my projects portable so that is a part of
a problem but still ;)