GuitarHero/RockBand fans... side project anyone?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Sat Dec 14 04:56:34 PST 2013

On 2013-12-14 03:48, Manu wrote:

> I've done mac ports before. In terms of scheduling though, it always
> gets barely any time or attention.
> Bare minimum to get it running, and doesn't help that it's usually being
> written by a windows programmer working against his will :)

Yeah, I guess that's one of the biggest problems, it's always ports. Mac
is rarely part of the main platforms. And we shouldn't even start
talking about Cider (commercial version of Wine).

BTW, I read on a forum that for Bioshock Infinity they deliberately
remove the highest resolutions and visual details on the Mac version
because Mac OS X only supports OpenGL 3.x. But now with the latest Mac
OS X Mavericks which supports OpenGL 4.x they have released patches to
enable the highest resolutions and visual details. I'm wondering how
much of an issue this is, too old OpenGL implementation.

I'm not so experienced with game development but I would think that it's
fairly easy to build cross-platform games, at least for computers. For
other applications it seems like the biggest issue is the GUI. But since
most games use a completely custom GUI anyway that wouldn't be a so much
of a problem.

--
/Jacob Carlborg