D benchmark code review

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sun Dec 15 03:40:25 PST 2013

On Sunday, 15 December 2013 at 10:30:36 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Your contention about fragmentation due to the 3 compilers is,
> I think, objectively false, however.  On the contrary, what
> differences there are have been continuously narrowing for the
> whole period of time that I've been actively using D, to the
> point where pretty soon the frontends of GDC, LDC and DMD will
> be 100% identical code.

Ok, that is quite possible, but I that might also be the case for
BSD… FreeBSD is probably on par with Linux, but it is still
perceived as being part of a fragmented ecosystem. Open source
projects that fragment tend to die, so I think people are a bit
uneasy about that in general. I agree that it is a superficial
measurement.

> Oh, and -- I can't see that rewriting the compilers to output
> to C++ would really be easier than just implementing better
> direct support for interfacing with C++ in the language.

If I write an engine in D and then want to port it to iOS…

> practical usefulness.  If what you see in D today doesn't
> convince you that it's worth trying to take that jump a second
> time, then that's your judgement to make.  But I think you
> might get more out of spending a couple of hours trying things
> out in a playful way, rather than writing long emails debating
> fairly abstract philosophical ideas and desires for the
> language.

Actually, my arguments are not philosophical. They are pragmatic.

D is not high level enough to be high level and not low level
enough to give sufficient low level control.

I would want a C++-replacement to give me convinient access to
hardware-level features such as transactional memory in the
Haswell processor etc. Making 3 compiler backends support stuff
like that seems a bit unrealistic.

> TL;DR I don't think it matters whether you're fair to D or not,
> but it matters that you're fair to yourself in giving yourself
> the chance to properly assess what D can do for you today :-)

Well, if it did support transactional memory and was more clearly
dedicated towards low-level programming I would use it to have
lock free concurrent programming in a relatively clean
programming language.

O.