D benchmark code review

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Sun Dec 15 05:25:06 PST 2013

On Sunday, 15 December 2013 at 12:29:46 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> Again, better I think to create first-class iOS support in D
> itself.  The alternative you suggest really feels like sticking
> one's feet in the flames to get out of having to do a firewalk
> ... :-)

Yes,  I thought that too for a while, in general, but then it
turns out that C++ has kind of become a "portable source-level
object format" which most new platforms are claiming support for.
And new platforms keep coming in areas where you least expect
them to. Like Chrome PNaCl for the web. So, it is a moving
target. Not being able to generate C/C++ if you later decide to
port is a lock-in unless the runtime is so minimal and simple
that you can make do with generic LLVM IR…

> If that's the use-case you're looking for, fair enough.  What I
> was concerned with was whether you were overlooking other
> use-cases that might potentially benefit you, because while
> looking at D through the prism of "C++ replacement" is valid,
> it misses a whole load of other things one can do with the
> language.

I am looking for a language that let me do experimental realtime
audio. C++ is not a good fit because of the "experimental" part
suggest a clean language where you can quickly change the code.
C++ is a bit verbose/tedious to be a good fit. There is nothing
in D that prevents it from providing very clean low level
support, but I sense that this is not the direction the language
is going. I could be wrong though, maybe I'll give it a spin
after new year. :)

O.