Rant on quality

deadalnix deadalnix at gmail.com
Sun Dec 15 13:51:29 PST 2013

As I've mentioned several time, dmd 2.064 broke a ton of tests in
SDC. Because of some bad closure codegen.

By now, I'm pretty sure that most of these tests won't pass when
DMD is fixed. Show must go on, and having such a blind spot, it
is pretty much a guaranteed result.

Moreover, master do not even compile anything (or, to be fair, it
does compile but nothing can be linked). It seems that the new
behavior for template symbol generation is completely failing.

The whole thing is constantly broken in various way, and I spend
most of my dev working with known codegen bugs, or with homemade
version of DMD. I'm willing to do that because I'm a D
enthusiast, but realistically, most user would have quit for long
in my position by now.

As usual, the beta are not released, and one will be throw to the
public by surprise 2 week before the release. Granted it match a
prediod when I have some time, it means day of crunching for a
codegen bug (and usually a bug hides another).

Right now, I puzzled by the fact that the new template symbol
generation is pushed forward as it is clearly not working. Not
even remotely close, I have PAGES of linker error (it is not some
tricky edge case that is failing here).

I though the priority was to improve quality. That mean pushing
for feature when they are ready. Not when whoever feels like it.