between and among: worth Phobosization?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com> Ola Fosheim Grøstad" <ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com>
Wed Dec 18 12:06:31 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 18 December 2013 at 19:47:05 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> I don't think so. Algebraic properties have been derived from
> desirable and useful properties and have long shown good
> returns.

No, when you change the foundation/definitions some of the
theorems will break. That always happens. I can't think of a
single example where that does not happen.

Some theorems are more important to uphold than others, it is a
good thing to avoid breaking DeMorgans for instance.

> Breaking algebraic properties based on ad-hoc arguments of
> usefulness will guarantee the type won't work with many
> standard algorithms (sort etc) and will never cease to surprise
> its users.

Not sure what you mean by ad-hoc? It is so by definition? You are
the one arguing for ad hoc… It does not make sense to turn to
interval-algebra if you want
range-like-ad-hoc-programmers-semantics? If you implement
interval-algebra it should be… interval-algebra, and usable a
such?