phobos dependencies

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 15:51:04 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 18 December 2013 at 23:08:21 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> I favor (2), and also (4):
>
> 4. Break kitchen sink modules like std.algorithm into one
> module per algorithm. This should not result in code
> duplication.

That seems a little over the top. While I guess it's not
necessarily a bad thing to increase modularity, users would have
to pull in a large number of imports to do anything nontrivial.
For example, when you want to use sort, find, splitter and swap
all together, you either have the choice of doing:

import std.algorithm;

And pull in everything, or doing:

import std.algorithm.sort, std.algorithm.find,
std.algorithm.splitter, std.algorithm.swap;

Or is there something I'm missing here?

Of course, another large boon would be to correct the
implementation of:

import std.algorithm: sort, find, splitter, swap;

So that it actually works in a sane way as opposed to pulling in
everything.