[Feedback] Main difficulties encountered with D

Xavier Bigand flamaros.xavier at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 13:35:05 PST 2013

Hi,

It's been a few months since I work on "DQuick" at a rate of a few
minutes or hours from time to time. After working professionally with
Java during a year I was really surprise to see D capable to compete a
such language on productivity and providing much more features than C++.

But because D and his compiler aren't as mature as c++ compilers, it can
be really hard to debug our code, mainly when searching memory issues,
because generated code by DMD isn't compatible with existing tools
(Valgrind, DrMemory).

I generally use those tools when it's hard to put markers manually in
code or when I don't have a call stack on a crash.

I search the cause of a crash that I have under Windows, but I don't
have nothing more than this message box :

Unhandled exception at 0x0075fe53 in Image.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation reading location 0x00000000.

I don't have the stack.

So, it's certainly one of the worst points dmd isn't compatible with C++
debugging tools.