phobos dependencies

Meta jared771 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 01:06:01 PST 2013

On Wednesday, 18 December 2013 at 21:40:08 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> 2. Push imports from top level into the entities (functions,
> classes etc) that use them.

2 comes with its own problems, though. With imports at the top,
you can easily tell what the module imports at a glance. Putting
imports into the deepest possible scopes where they are used will
make it a huge chore to hunt all the imports down. You can of
course grep for "import" (or ctrl+f for more plebeian editors),
but you still don't have that singular list in one place that you
can easily look at to tell what the module imports.

Also, as was mentioned before, some imports (or lack of) will go
unnoticed until the particular template or template path that it
resides in gets instantiated. I don't relish the idea of thinking
that my code is all clear, then getting some missing dependency
error down the line after refactoring. This will make code more
brittle.