Go compiler moving from C to Go

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Fri Dec 20 22:26:52 PST 2013

On 20.12.2013 22:05, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-12-20 08:03, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>
>> Even though I rather use D than Go, every time I read that, I am tempted
>> to prove people wrong. If I had the time for it, that is.
>>
>> Go offers the same mechanisms for systems programming as Oberon does. If
>> ETHZ was able to create Native Oberon, AOS and EthOS with Oberon, why
>> cannot one do an OS with Go?
>
> When developing an OS, for somethings these languages are not enough,
> including C, Go and D. You need to use assembly. D has the advantage of
> supporting inline assembly.

Until all D compilers provide the same support for inline assembly, it
is better we don't use that as language feature.

Currently I rather write assembly with an external assembler than using
a separate syntax per D compiler.

However you do touch a nice point, even ANSI/ISO C needs to rely on
external assemblers to be useful at systems level. This is something
developers forget when they equate language == what my compiler supports.

--
Paulo