Go compiler moving from C to Go

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 22 00:05:40 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-12-21 at 11:29 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/21/2013 6:44 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Inline assembly means you have to have the assembly code for each
> > supported platform in the code with all the conditionals to the
> > compiler. Having separate files is often much easier to manage and to
> > build from.
>
> You can still put D inline assembly in separate files. What you don't need is an
> assembler.

But this implies the D compiler has to be able to handle Intel, Sparc,
AMD, ARM, ARM Thumb, Atmel, … Certainly compiler code generators have to
know things about the target, but does this necessarily include the
ability to do inline?

D compile-time decision making certainly changes the game compared to
C/C++, but the problem is that D only really supports Intel just now so
we don't really have data on how complicated things are for multiple
backends.

Of course having exited the embedded space (8051, Atmel, etc.) I am now
just Intel/AMD/ARM oriented.

> > OK so D only support Intel processors just now so only one inline
> > assembly type, but this is part of the problem not the solution.
>
> There is no case where D's support for intel inline assembler is worse than
> forcing you to use a separate assembler.

My point is really that D needs to support ARM pdq to have any chance of
getting traction in an increasingly bi-partisan (Intel/AMD and ARM)
rather than monopolistic (Intel/AMD) data centre.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk