DIP54 : revamp of Phobos tuple types

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 18:46:38 PST 2013

On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 01:39:26 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> http://wiki.dlang.org/DIP54

Are you seriously suggesting we change the auto-expanding
behaviour of template argument lists? This is going to cause the
biggest code breakage since D2, for the niche benefit of having
lists that don't automatically expand.

This DIP makes several unfounded assumptions. It assumes that the
semantics of template argument lists are inherently hard to
learn, and that removing the auto-expanding aspect will make them
easier to learn. It assumes that non-auto-expanding lists provide
a significant usability boost, and claims that it enables
previously impossible algorithms. It claims to be a compromise
derived from several previous discussions (without citing any),
but the only consensus I remember is that we have a naming
problem. I don't remember anyone but you asking for non-expanding
lists *in the language*, which I regard a red herring.

I see no proof provided for any of this.

I hate to say this, but it looks a lot like your personal agenda
against auto-expanding lists is tacked onto and conflated with
the naming problem, which I think is disingenuous.

> This is follow-up of several hot discussion threads that have
> happened several months ago. It has become pretty clear that
> there is no good way out of existing situation and least bad
> needs to be picked just to move forward (because it still be
> better than current horrible one)

I don't agree. I think we'd be in good shape just by fixing the
naming problem, which is a much less controversial change.

> Linked proposal was discussed in short e-mail conversation with
> Andrei (with silent observation with Walter) and is mostly
> pre-approved. I am interested in general opinion of community
> and suggestions for any smaller tweaks before starting to work
> on pull requests.

Please don't pull the argument-by-authority card. Private
conversations that affect all of us like this need to die in a
fire. We should consider this kind of thing the equivalent of
tainted evidence.