DIP54 : revamp of Phobos tuple types

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Dec 23 07:59:09 PST 2013

On 12/23/2013 12:59 PM, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 11:50:08 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
>> This misunderstanding arose because the name of the construct is
>> misleading.
>
> Can explain this a bit? What makes one miss distinction between language
> term and library type?

(It is not a type.)

"At the same time automatic expansion of `TypeTuple` is considered both
unhygienic and not consistent with `std.typecons.Tuple`. Fixing it will
allow some new template algorithms while still keeping "tuple" library
type count at two."

=> the new construct will not auto-expand.

"Why that weird long name, `TemplateArgumentList`

A: Because it is exactly what it is. This name makes it clear that one
may expect from this thing behavior similar to
http://dlang.org/template.html#TemplateArgumentList"

=> the new construct will behave like the built-in

Together this yields that the built-in will not auto-expand.

> (Hint: latter is denoted by CamelCase ;))

As is the former. :P
http://dlang.org/template.html#TemplateArgumentList

I think using the name TemplateArgumentList for anything other than a
shallow wrapper around a template argument list does not actually
improve the naming situation.