DIP54 : revamp of Phobos tuple types

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Dec 23 08:19:46 PST 2013

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 02:04:52PM +0000, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 23 December 2013 at 13:58:13 UTC, JR wrote:
> >... I have *almost* understood the difference between built-in
> >tuples, Tuple and TypeTuple.
>
> I had this feeling probably 5 or 6 times in past few years, only to
> find some new surprise every time :D Can only hope that finally got
> it right in my mind now.

It's one of those things that the more you understand, the more you
understand how much you *don't* understand. :P

First there's the word "tuple" that's thrown around with multiple
incompatible meanings, then you learn that "tuple" is not the same as
"Tuple", and that "TypeTuple" is an alias for "tuple". Then you learn
that "TypeTuple" can contain literals as well as types, contrary to its
name. Then you learn about something called "parameter tuple" which
*seems* to work like "tuple" aka "TypeTuple", except that it doesn't.
And then ...

The two rules of success: 1. Don't tell everything you know. -- YHL